Bye bye social media 🙂
No November update, since I was busy with moving.
This month still busy with moving aftermath and of course christmas.
So lets see how I did with my Plans for 2017:
- Continue studying (10+ ECTS) still doable
- Work: Finish with AWS Competency and release NG firmware version 7.1done
- More Sports: Motivate myself to run more than once every other monthfail
- Hardware consolidation: Buy a new Screen.done Maybe a NASnot done or a new Desktop and retire direk.arved.priv.atnot done and sauna.arved.priv.atdone
- Continue contributing to FreeBSD <50 commits, less than the year before and Wikipedia.143 edits, no new articles
- Attend a conference, e.g. EuroBSDconfail
Sumam sumarum mixed results.
So My Plans for 2018:
- Continue studying (10+ ECTS)
- Finish EMV L2 Certification, do a cool, sucessful project
- More Sports: Motivate myself to run more than once every other month. Get a bike.
- Hardware consolidation: New NAS, New Desktop, retire direk.arved.priv.at
- Continue contributing to FreeBSD and Wikipedia
- Attend a conference
- Read more books
- Improve my foreign language skills
Put online my article from last terms university course: Fani.
Did a business trip to Basingstoke, UK. First year since 2010 than I have been traveling 7800km by plane.
Busy with getting ready to move. So not much time for anything else.
Spent two weeks on vacation in Turkey.
Finished two books, first El laberinto de los espίritus” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, read in German (“Das Labyrinth der Lichter”). A present from my last birthday.
Second “Tour de France” by Irene Kuhn. My first book read in French (at least partially). The bilingual text worked fairly unlike when I tried bilingual Turkish-German books, where reading the original was way too tiresome.
But still there is lots of work to do to get my French back to the level I was 20 years ago.
Apart from swimming in the see I ran about 37km in two weeks. Now my right knee is still a bit stressed. Hope it is nothing serious.
Registered a private AWS accout to keep up with my cloud foo. Hope I will manage to stay in the Free Tier.
Registered for next terms course at the university, though I still haven’t got the result from last term.
In preparation for the move in October I decommissioned mchammer.arved.priv.at after 13 years of service. Most likely also sauna.arved.priv.at will be decommissioned in the next weeks.
So noticed today, that the cert expired. Some upgrade broke letsencrypt. Will have to fix later.
Tried to run rocketchat on FreeBSD. Horrified by the custom buildsystem that not only once to install its private version of clang as well as downloading bazillion of dependencies, (some of them even multiple times).
Looking at getting a NAS based on the HP Proliant Gen8 and FreeNAS. Just need to find a budget 🙂
Submitted finally my semester assignment, will publish it after I got a grade. Now two months of work and fun until the term starts again.
Made a plan to start another blog in Turkish to improve my writing skills. Delayed for now 🙂
So I have switched jobs, back to the old one. Not much has changed, even the broken lamb in our office hasn’t been replaced in one year. I have been missing the green view from the office and the more dynamic approach to software development. Now I am missing reasonable timelines, the food and my dockingstation/Dual Screen setup
At home I am still working though with less intensity on my university assignments (have to finish this month).
My presentation at the university went well, despite my prof finding lots of errors in the handout ( and me finding even more after the course…).
So now on to write the article. I am at 6 pages, 10 to go. There is still quite some time but yeah these months will continue being busy
New books for university arrived, the Tezkires of Ahdi, Beyani and Kınalızade. I wonder what I will do with these books after this course :).
Plans for the upcoming week include reducing my books and computer stuff to prepare for an eventually upcoming move.
In other news, last week I spent a few days in Mondsee with my daughter on a farm. Unfortunately I was a bit ill, so I went to bet at the same time she went, no studying in the evening. But we had good weather and relaxing days.
New books read:
- Kato Lomb: Polyglot, How I Learn Languages
Very inspirational and I like the idea of reading books early in the process. Just don’t know how it will work for me in practice, but I am thinking about dusting of my French.
New books bought:
- Rıdvan Canım: Tezkiretü’ş-Şu’ara ve Tabrisatü’n-Nuzema (İnceleme-Metin)
Just read parts of the Introduction and of course the article I need for my university work.
More books for university arriving the next days.
My course presentation is due on Tuesday, so much of my free time will go into preparing it.
So I finally got it working.
Here is my list of things that don’t work:
- sddm gives only a blank screen. Use gdm or lightdm instead
- PATH is messed up. For konsole it is possible to specify the environment of a profile
- baloo just doesn’t work. Opens 100k files.
Looks like I have to get my hands dirty again..
My course this term is about ottoman poets. So I will have to study the tezikires. I already got a copy of the Meridith Owens edition of Aşik Çelebi. But others are either difficult to find or expensive. So more visits to the library necessary.