After talking about real money yesterday. This next entry will be about virtual blogshares. You probably noticed the new button on the lower left. I didn’t really understand the concept, but obviously Rob is a professional blogshare player since he already bought shares from this blog.
Yeah I am a victim of group pressure. Because nearly every blog I am reading, has a GeoURL, I finally added the funky green button to this site.
Also I got my first Trackback URL, thanks Lauri. (No I still don’t understand the concept)
I just added jule’s RSS feed. I noticed that the RSS column is a lot larger than the articles. (That’s why I am writing this entry :-). I reduces the displayed Headlines, but that didn’t change much. I need to think about something else.
Tomorrow starts my 7. term at university so I spent my day preparing my schedule, checking news on university homepages etc.
The other remarkable event today was, that I paniced a FreeBSD.org Project machine for the first time. While testing KDE on FreeBSD/ia64 pluto2.FreeBSD.org suddently didn’t answer. Luckily Marcel Moolenaar was already awake and rebooted it after only a short downtime.
le notified me, that it was not possible to post a comment to my blog due to misconfiguration. I used my local hostname instead of my official hostname.
Please try to post a comment to this article. It should be fixed now.
le has found the bug in the FreeBSD.org RDF feed that confused his rssfetch-perlscript. After the fix was committed by simon, I am now able to offer links to the FreeBSD Newsflash.
Now he only needs to fix his own Feed….
With perl -w you get the following Warnings:.
Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/XML/RSS.pm line 1432.
The first day without an enty, am I loosing interest?
Well no, but yesterday I was too busy to add anything.
I borrowed the RDF Feed idea from le’s blog and so now you can read the
latest headlines from his blog on the right.
I also discovered the first bug in MT. Umlauts in the Headline cripple the rdf
Additional one of my harddisks died probably because it got too hot. Luckily no
important data was lost. I sent it to Maxtor, hopefully I will get a Replacement.
The Second Entry is a critical one. A Blog having more than one Entry looks like a Blog that is actually used.
Adding a second Entry is hard work for the brain, “Oh, I have a Weblog? What was the URL again?”. Especially if it is as hot as today. (Kweather is showing 32�C).
A more serious problem: Writing “First Post!” is easy, but the Followups should
at least contain some content. So here is what happend since yesterday:
During fiddling with the Layout I noticed that my Server was quite unresponsive.
First I thought this was because of the regular tasks usually running between 3 and 4 am, but after some Investigation i noticed that the machine is swapping like hell. Well 64MB RAM isn’t much for a machine running my Mailserver, a SQUID, an INN, an NFS Server and several other services.
Unfortunately the Chaintech 5TTM1 Mainboard supports only 2x32MB SDRAM.
So no additional RAM for poor huckfinn. After some discussion with wca on IRC
I stopped the rpc.statd which consomed 270MB for just sitting there.
Now the biggest consumer is the INN with around 60MB, but there is no easy way to reduce that one.
I further plan to move the NFS and FTP Service to my new Server, that I want to buy soon.
Okay I think I have found my favorite blog. MT is in the ports collection, so
really easy to install. It is simple but has also a lot of features.
The default stylsheets are ugly, but after refreshing my CSS knowledge I got something that looked useful.