Today, I finally reorganized my network and put via.arved.de into “production”.
via is running 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3, and it already needed a reboot once, after the following messages appeared on the console, and it stopped routing.
Mar 28 04:55:59 via kernel: arplookup 127.0.0.1 failed: could not allocate llinfo Mar 28 04:56:00 via kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 127.0.0.1rt
According to the arp(4) this happens when the routing table is misconfigured, so hopefully this was a transient failure.
I think everything is now working again, so time to summarize what did not went as planned.
- The NAT-Portredirection did not work out of the box. I had to open the redirected ports in ipfilter to make ipnat work. I don’t know why this is not required on huckfinn.
- sendmail and bind on huckfinn didn’t like new default route and had to be restarted.
- I forgot to add a route from via to the WLAN.
- I need to add a host route to my outside IP via huckfinn, to access my blog from the LAN. Because the port-redirect does not work from inside.
That’s what my network now looks like:
- Move the wireless routing to the via, after it has been running stable for a while.
- Implement a hotstandby solution for via and huckfinn.